EVALUATION OF DIFFERENT ASHES IN STORAGE
Use of ash on storage of pulses is an ITK; it pushes the pest to die of starvation and does not provide a suitable environment for egg laying.
In storage the ash blocks air, light and moisture which is optimum for the pest for growth and reproduction. As it is the tendency of storage pests start feeding from upper layer and lay eggs.
How it is women friendly?
- It is the easiest commodity available to women at household level.
- It is free of chemicals.
- It does not stick to the periphery of seeds thus does not contaminate the food.
- It reduces the multiplication of pests.
- Pulses can be stored up to seven to eight months thus reducing loss.
Locale of dissemination/ application:
(i) Puri (Ottrarkera)
- Reduced use of chemical based pesticides.
- Reduces health risks associated with chemicals.
- Environment friendly..
- Saves on costly pesticides.
- Effective use of ash produced at house, which is usually considered waste
Limitations if any
S.K. Srivastava, Agarwal Suman, Naresh Babu, Ananta Sarkar and Hemrom Atul, C., ICAR -Central Institute for Women in Agriculture, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Year and purpose:
2013 for waste utilization and creating pollution free environment
Weather further study/ modification are required or not: