POT METHOD OF VERMI-COMPOST
Vermi-compost is manufactured with the help of vermicelli; it feeds on cow dung with rationalized mix of green material, farm waste or kitchen waste. It multiplies the availability of Nitrogen and other micro nutrients, enhances water retention capacity of soil.
Vermi-compost has high content of nitrogen along with other micro nutrients, increases water holding capacity, holds soluble nutrient in micro spaces available and makes nutrient readily available to the plant.
How it is women friendly?
- Women deal with cleaning of cowshed, work in kitchen and also carry farm wastes for disposal.
- It has every potential to be an enterprise for women.
- Vermi-compost if constructed close to cowshed is helpful as it does not require carrying of cow dung to a distance.
- It has good market price.
- Enhances growth rate, greener and stronger plant.
- It is free of soil borne diseases and weeds.
Locale of dissemination/ application:
ICAR-CIWA, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Efficient use of farm waste and kitchen waste.
- Reduces weed infestation.
- Reduces risk of soil borne diseases.
- Eco-friendly and cleans surroundings.
- Increases soil structure.
Limitations if any
S.K. Srivastava, Naresh Babu and Geeta Saha, ICAR -Central Institute for Women in Agriculture, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Year and purpose:
2013 for increasing soil health
One tractor load cow-dung @ Rs. 1500 One kg earthworm @ 250
Weather further study/ modification are required or not: